It’s easy to get caught up in the daily grind and forget to do the little things that matter. Jessica shares with you twelve tips to bring joy. How can you apply these?
Are you finding yourself feeling a bit down? Are you grumpy with others or being too hard on yourself? Here is a list of things you can try to help lift your mood. Over time, if you make small positive changes to your day, you will find yourself appreciating yourself and others more often, and appreciation is always on the path to experiencing joy.
1. Get more sleep. I put this first because so many people are not sleeping long enough, nor sleeping soundly enough, so turn off the electronics and get some shut eye.
2. On the note of getting more sleep, you may want to consider waking a little earlier and spending some quiet time to start your day. Give yourself a few extra moments to ease into your day and routines.
3. Listen. Have you ever heard the expression, “you have two ears and one mouth”? Listen more. Not only will you learn more about yourself, but you will learn more about the people and environment around you. Also, when people feel listened to, they feel valued. You can show kindness to others simply by listening more, rather than thinking of your response.
4. Try and give people the benefit of the doubt. We all have off days. For some it’s an impossible deadline at work, a dying brother, raising a teenager, bad news, or for no reason at all other than just having an off day, so try to show more tolerance and patience, even if you find it hard to show kindness to someone that is having a rough day.
5. Embrace change. Change is a constant part of life. None of us can escape it.
6. Appreciate your family and friends. Life is about experiences, love, and relationships. Treasure your loved ones, not as possessions, but as the people that have chosen to spend their precious heartbeats being with you through thick and thin.
7. Something I have learned as a mother is the dishes can wait, and it doesn’t matter how perfectly folded the towels are. Not everything has to be perfect and controlled. If you are constantly trying to control all the little things, you might miss the most important things.
8. With that said, it may be the very opposite of letting the dishes go. Rinse your plate and put it in the dishwasher; someone you love might appreciate that more than you realize. You will know the difference between these two suggestions and when they apply.
9. Show compassion and understanding rather than placing expectations on others based on your own fears, past mistakes, and insecurities. We all have our own journey in this life.
10. Remember not everything is about you. Stop taking everything so personally.
11. Take care of your home and fill it with love. This is your safe haven and retreat from the world.
12. Smile. Whether it’s a fake smile or genuine smile, just smile. It will make you feel better and make others around you feel better.
What adjustment might it take to bring more appreciation and joy into your day?
– Jessica Allison
Jessica Allison is a work at home mom, fine art photographer, makeup and skin care enthusiast, and lover of history and the outdoors. Check her out at facebook.com/groups/flygirllips or www.idahochildrensphotography.com
Join the newsletter
Last modified: August 13, 2017